Pages

March 5, 2011

Chicken and sausage 'rice'

Chicken and sausage rice

After thinking 'what to do with my cauliflower' for a few days, I came up with this dish. It's actually quite simple and easy to make, but the goodness is in the fact that the cauliflower rice soaks up all the delicious flavours that come out of the sausages when frying them. Making this dish very tasty, without the need to add a whole lot of spices.
If you want you can also stir in some spinach or purslane during the last couple of minutes of frying, I think it would make a good addition.

My weekend won't be as exciting as planned, because the shopping trip and high tea have been postponed to next weekend. So I actually just finished breakfast (leftover chicken and sausage rice!) and am thinking about what to do today.
There's no need to go shopping as I'll be doing that next week already (and I have to save my money for my New York trip next month) and my fridge is well stocked. My freezer is filled all the way up too, so I shouldn't cook any extra meals.
Kitchenwise, I could try cooking a more time-consuming dish. Otherwise, I could go running, watch movies, listen to some music, do some laundry. Things like that.. I just don't know yet.

Now I come to think of it, I have some celeriac, turnips and parsnips I want to use, but I don't know what to do with those just yet. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could give me some ideas!

Chicken and sausage 'rice' (serves 4)
- 400g chicken fillet, diced
- 200g (beef) sausage, chopped
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- black pepper

1. Heat coconut oil in a skillet or frying pan and fry the chicken until browned, add sausage and chopped onions and fry until done.
2. In the mean time, pulse the cauliflower florets in your foodprocessor until you've got a rice like texture.
3. Add the cauliflower rice and the tomato to the meat and fry for a few minutes until the cauliflower has soaked up all the liquids.
4. Stir in thyme, lemon juice and pepper and fry for another minute.
5. Serve hot and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. god that looks good! Thank you!
    In fact thank you for all the awesome recipes you've been posting. Not only are they amazing, but they're VERY helpful... so.. thanks! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I'm glad you're enjoying the recipes!

    ReplyDelete