Pages

March 18, 2011

Spicy koftas with pumpkin puree

Spicy koftas with pumpkin puree

Yesterday at work I was shocked.. I had to help a nurse insert a pH-metric probe in a 5-year-old girl, and explain the test to her and her parents. No one likes getting a probe up their nose, going all the way to their stomach, and certainly not a 5-year-old.
She asked me if it was going to hurt, and I told her it wasn't nice at first, but if the thing was in, she wouldn't feel it anymore. Of course inserting it went wrong at first and the girl was in pain; crying and screaming, panicking. I felt so sorry for her!
Especially when I heard why she was getting the test..
She was often having a stomachache and feeling nauseous. Plus, she had already been diagnosed with a dairy allergy.
And what does a children's doctor do; he checks if the girl's producing too much stomach acid. Which it probably does and he will end up giving her medicine to supress it. Why would you want to give those crappy medicines to a kid? (or to anyone for that matter)
I'm not a doctor, but to me it sounds extremely logical that the first thing to do would be checking for food intolerances. Especially because she already has a dairy allergy.
Most of the times, the body works just fine, what we feed it is what's causing a lot of problems. Wouldn't it be easier to rule that out before we start looking what's wrong with the body itself? It would save a lot of people from taking unneccesary medication or undergoing uncomfortable tests.
I'm totally aware that not everything can be fixed with a diet, but it can most certainly make a huge difference.
Anyway, it's weekend again, and I'm happy it is.
I'll be doing quite a lot of studying, because I have an exam coming up next week and I'm hoping to do quite some cooking as well.
Tonight I made myself some spicy koftas and served them with pumpking puree (with cinnamon and ginger). It was a shame I didn't have any fresh parsley or coriander, because that would've made a wonderful combination.
So if you have any and plan on making this recipe; use it!

Spicy koftas in tomato sauce
- 350g ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small, spicy red chili pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp coconut oil

1. In a bowl, combine ground beef, 1 chopped onion, garlic, chili pepper, cinnamon, coriander and cumin, and mix well using your hands.
2. Form 8 koftas (small meat rolls) out of the mixture.
3. Heat coconut oil in a skillet or frying pan and fry the koftas over medium heat until browned all over.
4. Add the remaining onion and fry for a few minutes with the koftas.
5. Add tomatoes and thyme and reduce heat to low. Simmer for approx. 12-15 minutes until koftas are done and the tomato sauce has thickened.
6. Serve hot with veggies of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment