Pages

April 23, 2011

Oven roasted cauliflower and Chicken spinach meatballs

Oven roasted cauliflower and chicken spinach curry meatballs

Another sunny day today! Even though it's only April, it already feels like Summer.
This morning I went to the supermarket early to get my groceries for the Easter weekend. The supermarket opens at 8 a.m. and I got there around 8.10. I couldn't believe how busy it already was! As if all those people had been standing in line waiting for the store to open.. I don't think I want to know how busy it gets in there later today.
Luckily everything was well-stocked and I got myself a nice whole chicken to roast tomorrow, a pumpkin and even some veal steaks (calf's meat). I've never eaten veal steak before, but I figured I'd give it a try later this week.

I also went for another workout this morning, went quite well. Although there's a kettlebell circuit in it which tends to kill me :P
My trainer asked me if I happened to be able to poach eggs. Well, um, no.. But I'm into any type of challenge so I'm going to give it a try in the next couple of days!
For lunch I made myself some chicken meatballs and oven roasted cauliflower. Very good. I'd had the cauliflower at Whole Foods in New York and wanted to create my own version. Worked out pretty well! I still have some leftover and I think I'm going to make a salad out of it tomorrow or the day after. Or combine it with roasted broccoli.. I'm not sure yet.

Chicken spinach meatballs in curry sauce (serves 2)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 handful spinach
- 350g chicken fillets, diced
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil

1. In a foodprocessor, combine onion, garlic, spinach, chicken, paprika, ginger, cumin, some black pepper and egg. Process until well combined.
2. Form large meatballs out of the mixture, approx. 8-10, by using your hands or a spoon, and drop them on a plate.
3. Heat coconut oil in a skillet or frying pan and fry chicken meatballs over medium heat until browned on all sides.
4. Stir the curry powder into the coconut milk and pour over the meatballs.
5. Reduce heat to low and simmer for approx. 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the meatballs are done.
6. Serve hot with veggies of your choice, and enjoy!

Oven roasted cauliflower (serves 2)
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into smaller florets
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, toss cauliflower with curry powder, oil and lemon juice until the florets are coated.
3. Spread the florets out over the prepared baking tray and bake them in the middle of the oven for approx. 25 minutes, until fork tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment